Facilities & Equipment
To ensure that your holiday is as environmentally friendly as you want it to be, we offer the following services:
- The Cabin is only one mile from Howden railway station. It is a short walk to the cabin along the road or there is a slightly longer walk over the fields. We can collect you on arrival and return you on departure if required. There are a couple of bicycles that you can borrow whilst staying in the Cabin.
- We can purchase your groceries from Howden and deliver them to the Straw Bale Cabin prior to your arrival. This service is provided free of charge for lists under £10 to help you travel lightly. There is a small 10% surcharge for larger lists. Shopping locally helps support our local community.
- In a similar vein, the Straw Bale Cabin has a small honesty shop which stocks a range of non perishable local, organic or fair trade food, drink and other essential items which visitors can purchase at cost during their stay.
- We provide a variety of tried and tested walking and cycling routes from the Straw Bale Cabin. There is also an ordnance survey map of the area for guests to use.
- We have a large file of local and tourist information to help you find places and activities of interest in the East Riding of Yorkshire and beyond.
- A wind up torch and solar/wind up radio are provided as wonderful examples of modern energy saving technology.
- We have extensive recycling facilities at the Straw Bale Cabin.
- There is a string bag and recycled bags for your local shopping.
- We have photographs and information about the construction of the Straw Bale Cabin and a wide selection of other eco building books and magazines. There are guides to help identify plants and birds and some general interest reading material.
For your comfort and convenience
An environmentally friendly holiday should also be comfortable and convenient. To ease packing and travelling and to make your stay as enjoyable as possible we provide:
- King size duvet
- Mattress and pillow protectors
- 4 hollow fibre pillows
- 2 hot water bottles (not often needed!)
- Coat hangers
- Toilet roll (recycled)
- Natural soap (locally made in Howden)
- Plentiful supply of crockery, cutlery, glassware, cookware
- Tea towels (2)
- Dishcloth, brush, scouring pad, rubber gloves
- Oven gloves
- Kitchen roll (recycled)
- Greaseproof paper
- Natural cleaning materials (washing up liquid & surface cleaners)
- Floor cloths (recycled)
- Yorkshire tea
- Herbal tea
- Instant coffee
- Hot chocolate
- Salt, black pepper, white pepper
- Mixed herbs & vegetable stock cubes
- Olive oil
- Picnic rug
- Washing line and pegs
There is a washing machine on site.