Facilities & Equipment
To ensure that your holiday is as environmentally friendly as you want it to be, we offer the following services:
- The Cottage is only one mile from Howden railway station. It is a short walk to the cottage along the road or there is a slightly longer walk over the fields. We can provide local taxi details if a lift is required There are train timetables in the cottage to help plan days out by train during your stay.
- Julie can purchase your groceries from Howden and deliver them to the Straw Bale Cottage prior to your arrival. This service is provided to help you travel lightly. It also helps support our local community. Orders under £10 are delivered free of charge. Orders over £10 are subject to £10 shopping and delivery fee.
- In a similar vein, the Straw Bale Cottage has a small honesty shop which stocks a range of non perishable local, organic or fair trade food, drink and other essential items which visitors can purchase at cost during their stay.
- We have a large file of local and tourist information to help you find places and activities of interest in the East Riding of Yorkshire and beyond.
- Wind up torches and a solar/wind up radio are provided as wonderful examples of modern energy saving technology.
- We have extensive recycling facilities including a kitchen composter.
- We have photographs and information about the construction of the Straw Bale Cottage and a wide selection of other eco building books and magazines. There are guides to help identify plants and birds and some general interest and children's reading material.
For your comfort and convenience
An environmentally friendly holiday should also be comfortable and convenient. To ease packing and travelling and to make your stay as enjoyable as possible we provide:
- Duvets and mattress covers
- Hollow fibre pillows and protective covers
- 2 hot water bottles (not often needed!)
- Coat hangers
- Toilet roll (recycled)
- Locally made natural soap
- Plentiful supply of crockery, cutlery, glassware, cookware
- Tea towels
- Dishcloth, brush, scouring pad
- Oven gloves
- Kitchen roll (recycled)
- Greaseproof paper
- Natural cleaning materials (washing up liquid & surface cleaners)
- Floor cloths (recycled)
- Washing line and pegs
- Yorkshire tea
- Instant coffee
- Hot chocolate
- Salt, black pepper, white pepper
- Mixed herbs & vegetable stock cubes
- Olive oil
There is a washing machine on site.
Julie can hire towels and bedding if required.